Monday 26 May 2014

Macro Photography

Rosebud of White
Texture
Before B&W
Original

      For my first image I took this photo of a rose because of the many interpretations of what roses symbolizes, providing me many options for editing to create a photograph with depth and meaning.

      I cropped the picture in closer to the rose which is in focus using the rule of thirds composition, keeping the focal point off centre, because I wanted to remove the rose that was out of focus to remove distractions from the focal point. I kept the leaf which was out of focus though because I liked the depth it added to the photograph and how it draws the viewers attention into the focused rose. 

           I adjusted the contrast and saturation of the image to take away distractions of the wall in the background but then decided the photo was oversaturated and no longer crisp, so I removed the saturation of the image completely leaving a black and white photograph. I think the black and white creates a more powerful image because there is no distractions from the bright colors.

     My concept for this image is love and loss because the rose is often interpreted as a symbol of love, but the black and white symbolizes emptiness and unhappiness. The image's design element is texture because there is various rough and soft textures in the photo, such as the soft rose petals and the rough texture of the leaves and thorns.



Serenity
Color
Original
     For my second image I took a picture of this daisy but the photo was taken in a very wide crop, so the first thing I did was crop it very tight to the flower using the rule of thirds to keep the focal point to the left of the image. Then I adjusted the sharpness and contrast of the picture so that all the details in the petals and the stamen would really pop and draw attention. After I used the clone stamp tool to remove small specs and imperfections from the petals, and used a separate layer to blur the background with the gaussian blur filter. Finally I adjusted the saturation of the photo to brighten the colours further.

     I decided this image's design was color because of the vibrant contrast of whites, yellows, and greens that the viewer notices right away. I think the colours, in combination with the cropping using the rule of thirds makes this photo stand out in particular because of that pop.



In Bloom
Lines
     For my final image I chose this because it is especially macro because of the tight crop. I cropped the photo this far in because I found with the original there was no on point for the viewer to focus on where as with the new cropping the focal point is the stamens poking out of the beautiful yellow blossom.  I also adjusted the contrast, brightness, and saturation. Finally I removed specs from the petals from this flower in the bloom as well.
Original
    I chose lines to be the design element in this photo because of the lines in the stamens which are the focal point of the image.

1 comment:

  1. Nice reflection Teagan. You explained your creative process very well and added to the rose image by suggesting the depth of meaning that goes with it. I agree that the B & W image is powerful but there are some white spots on the edges of the petals. These are just flaws in the plant, but they are emphasized by the B & W. You could easily remove them it you decide to print this image.
    You were smart to take the wide shot of the daisy because that gave you all kinds of options for cropping. I love your wide landscape choice with the asymmetrical layout. The yellow lily is the best of the three in my opinion. The image is crisp, the cropping is effective and the colour is fabulous. You have a great eye for composition. Super work.

    ReplyDelete