Wednesday 19 February 2014

Andy Warhol Style Self Portrait




        For each of my Pop Art photos, I used analogous colours on the colour wheel because after going through several trial and error photos I was happiest with the result of using similar colours that blended well with each other. I wanted to stick with colors that I associated with Andy Warhol's work and were bright and appealing to the eye. Since I have a big grin on my face, I chose colors that I thought matched the happiness of the image to stick with that feeling. To me these four groups of colors remind me of the 70's and I really liked the turn out.  I started with the last photo, using warm shades of yellow and then adding a pop of red to the lips to make them stand out as a focal point in the image. Then I decided to go to the other side of the spectrum, using cool shades of blue. These two out of the four are my favourite because of how bright they are. In the other two photos I used shades of violet and green because they are secondary colors of blue and yellow and I wanted to incorporate more uses of the color theory into my work. 
     As for how I created these images, instead of taking hours to fill in every detail where the black occupied I used layers to fill that entire section of color and changed certain layers blending modes to lighten. This seemed to work really well to save time and used the same sort of process as Andy Warhol did with Silk Screening.The hair in particular turned out really well by doing this in my opinion, and gave lots of depth that wouldn't of been there if I were to just fill it in piece by piece. 
     I decided to leave the shadowing underneath the lip because personally I like it. Many of Warhol's silk screen portraits included shading and I don't think the shading takes away from my image. Although I did try to remove it, I found the lips to look quite odd so I left it as is. 
   Finally I flipped the image by enlarging the background, merging the layers I used to color the threshold, and flipping the duplicate of the new layer I created. I repeated this process with all four images because that was the way I found to be most consistent so my images were identical apart from color variation. 




Original Photo
     As you can see, a lot of changes were made in the process of this assignment to make this photo into the four final images I have now.

3 comments:

  1. Your images are looking very interesting Teagan. Nice colour palettes, be sure to explain your choices and the book they communicate. The mirror reflection is an impressive expansion of the task. Did you do the image then just copy and flip it? That would be the easy way. Be sure you explain your process.
    One revision you might want to consider is the lip. Your colour seems to be on the lip, plus a shadow below it and it makes the mouth a bit distorted. You should be able to go in with the eraser and remove the surplus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I can't tell you how impressed I am with your work! Well done developing your own process. It is a very attractive product. Another congratulations on choosing an interesting photo and an even more interesting layout with the mirror reflection.

    I will continue to try to find things to encourage you to improve, even though you are making it very challenging:)

    ReplyDelete