Friday 14 February 2014

Photojournalism - Flag Day

Photo #1
     The first photo I chose was of the main speaker, who I managed to get a close up on. I decided to use this image because I thought it's a nice head shot of him, and casts a feeling of seriousness. It reminds me of photos put in newspaper articles about the latest politicians speaking on something important, just as this man was speaking about important subjects to our student audience. I chose to put this image in black and white because it emphasizes the feeling the photo gives and takes away any distraction such as bright colors in the background.














Photo #2
     I chose this photo because it really spoke to me. We see the veterans listening to the speaker, and the man's face who is in focus says a lot. I took it as pride, for his country and his service. I chose to change this photo to black and white as well because it brought out the emotion in the old mans face and although the image was a little out of focus due to how far I zoomed in, I sharpened the photo and upped the contrast so it turned out alright.

Photo #3
    This last photo I chose also represented pride to me. I kept in color because the blues of the speakers uniform and the red of the maple leaf in the Canadian flag stood out. They really bring out what Flag Day meant for Lourdes this year, commemorating our national service and veterans who served for us in the war.

    I really enjoyed taking these photos and am pleased with the shots I took. This assignment opened my eyes to how interesting photojournalism can be!







2 comments:

  1. Teagan, you've posted some very nice images. Perhaps I caught you before you were done, but I had hoped you would add a brief explanation of what you did and what you were trying to communicate.
    Photo #1, the B&W close-up has pretty good focus and communicates a nice sense of animation with his mouth open. Good work keeping the microphone out of the way of his face. Perhaps showing more of the symbol on his jacket would have been nice. I think the colour version of the speaker's face, #4, is also very nice. His smile is good and the flag behind tells a good story.
    I love the concept of photo #2 with the veterans.As we discussed, the focus is a bit blurry, but you can get away with it. The serious look on the gentleman's face is great. You could have cropped a bit more off the top because the wall adds nothing.
    The saluting soldier and the cluster of flags are weaker images. If you had caught the flag in the salute image it would have told a better story and there is no context for the flags. Are they in a veteran's pocket?
    I'm sending a couple of your shots for use in the video announcements:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much, and yes you were right in assuming I'm not done my write up for these pictures. Once I'm finished, the last two photos will make more sense, they were exerts from my favourite shots which just tied in nicely with the theme and story told from the other images. I just wasn't sure if I was going too keep them in the post.

      Delete